Koobeh selek (Beet soup with meatballs) - Simoosh style.

FOOD


For those who don't know, "Simoosh" is my mom's nickname.
My mom is an amazing cook, so I love the fact that I can learn from her and try to be as good of a cook as she is. I doubt I am, but I am trying...

This beet Koobeh is actually an Iraqi dish. I am not sure if how my mom makes it is the exact recipe, but who cares? it tastes amazing and much easier to make then you might think.
It is basically beet soup with meatballs. amazing for when it starts getting cold outside or just if you feel like it. and since beets are one of the more healthier things out there- there you have enough reasons to get into the kitchen and get to work. promise its worth it!

Lets start with the ingredients. when I cook i always like to have the recipe all ready and set up with the ingredient list and quantities in front of me (OCD much?).

Ingredients:

For the soup:
2 beets. washed, pilled and cut in to small cubes.
1 Onion. finely chopped and divided into two piles.
a handful of cilantro or parsley- which ever you prefer or both (I prefer cilantro), finely chopped.
6 cups of water.
Salt, Pepper, Turmeric, Consume (Chicken soup powder).
1 spoon of olive oil.

for the meatballs:
1 pound of ground beef.
Salt, Pepper, Turmeric, Cumin, Paprika.
1 egg
bread crumbs. (adds crunchiness to the meatballs).

mix all in a bowl and start creating small balls.

for the Koobeh mix:
Semolina.
Water.
Salt and Pepper.

mix it all in a bowl. for every 2 cups of semolina add a cup of water. make sure it creates a steady paste and doesn't get too liquidy. if it does just add more semolina.

The making of the soup:
Fry half of the chopped onion with the oil in a pot big enough for the soup.
Once it reaches a golden color add the six cups of water and let it boil.
Add the beets, spices and herbs (cilantro/parsley).
Mix it up and let it boil again.
Take a meatball and wrap it with the koobeh mix. make sure it covers the whole meatball, and add it to the soup.
once the soup boils again set the heat to low and leave covered for 30 minutes.
That is it....





Now here are some tips to making it better:
* You can add Celery or chopped Carrots, it will make it even healthier.
* If you feel Lazy today- skip the Koobeh part and just make it a beet soup with meatballs. it is just as good and less calories. as you can see from the pictures, I usually make about 4 coated meatballs, and the rest are just meatballs.
* Don't be tempted to use ground turkey or chicken- it might be healthier, but it doesn't taste the same.
* Get everything ready before you start: chop the onion, cut the beets, mix the Meatball ingredients and create the meatballs.
* I am sure that if you are hosting and want to make it more presentable you can arrange it nicer then I did in the picture. but for a quiet dinner at home? I care less of what it looks like as long as it tastes great, and it did :)

ENJOY!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First post!

Travel Thursdays- Thailand part I - Bangkok.

Fix your hair!! the easiest hair treatment you should be doing.